If you were busy drinking champagne and feasting on cheese and pizza, this is what you can do to ease a food and drink hangover
Let’s kick Monday off the right way! Follow these 10 steps and you’re on your way to being healthier by Friday.
1. Kick-start your day with a fresh, nutrient rich, metabolism boosting and re-hydrating ice cold smoothie. Think coconut water, hemp seeds, spirulina, banana, ice and fresh lemon. Not only is a great pick me up but it will give your digestive system a little rest after all that ice-cream (if you’re like me at least!)
2. Add protein. Get it into you in the form of poached eggs with avocado and roasted heirloom tomatoes or an omelette. Protein will stabilise your blood sugar levels when you’re feeling especially hung and fatty, whereas carbs (i.e. sugar) will cause you to feel worse when your blood sugars raise and crash. Avocado contains good fats which help the absorption of nutrients, and heirloom tomatoes contain the anti-oxidant lycopene as well as giving you UV protection from the sun.
3. Steer clear of comfort foods today. If you indulged on the weekend, keep away from foods filled with inflammatory gluten and stick with salads and vegetables that contain vitamins and minerals to replenish your body and not aggravate it.
4. Water. Drink loads and loads of it. Permanently attach a straw to your mouth and rehydrate yourself all day long! I don’t care if you have to spend the day on the loo. Not only will it flush out the toxins from the night/week/month before but it will rehydrate you and shift the foggy head.
5. Avoid coffee or soft drinks. They’ll only make you feel worse by loading you up with sugar and caffeine, increasing hangover anxiety and generally just making you feel like crap. Go for pure fresh coconut water instead which is naturally sweet and full of rehydrating potassium and electrolytes.
6. Pop a probiotic and multi-vitamin to help heal the gut after all the crappy food and alcohol, improve digestion, give you energy and fill the gaps of missing nutrients at this time of year. Get yourself some Nuzest Good Green Stuff for a real pick-me-up and cleanse.
7. Exercise. Go for a walk or run outside to get some Vitamin D into you, do some yoga – especially twists and inversions which have the added benefit of releasing toxins and decreasing inflammation, as well as improving mood and decreasing anxiety.
8. Go for a swim. Either in the morning for an energy kick or in the arvo as a break from work. If you can, get to a sauna to sweat out the alcohol, followed by a dive into the ocean. If you can’t get to a beach, take a cool shower again!
9. Try to create habits that are maintainable instead of being on the roller-coaster ride of indulgence followed by cleansing and detoxification. Start every day with half a lemon squeezed into warm water to aid digestion; add dark leafy greens to every meal for Vitamins and fibre and you’ll create healthy habits that are maintainable.
10. Don’t beat yourself up. Monday morning is usually spent feeling guilty about how big you went and vowing to not do it next time. Stop that cycle now! You’re only human and we all over-indulge every now and then so there’s really no point getting annoyed at yourself over a few too many wines and hot chips. You’ll be back to your healthy self in no time!